Friday, February 03, 2006

Night of the Zombies Remake

Night of the Zombies Remake

Image hosting by Photobucket

Do these cheery faces look familiar? You might know it as Hell of the Living Dead, Virus, Night of the Zombies, or any of the other 42 alternate titles it goes by. While many zombie fans sometimes like to fall back on this as the "worst zombie movie," it's rather obvious that it really isn't. It's not great, mind you, but it's certainly not the worst. Chances are, that title could be fought over by some more recent additions to the sub-genre. Bruno Mattei, for better or worse, has a fan base. For the most part, even those who say offhand that Night of the Zombies sucked, will offer up, if pressed, that it was at least quite amsuing.

I can't claim that the movie is good, but to be honest (and I am honest), there are few zombie films that truly fall into that catagory. But I like it. I own it. I have a good time whenever I watch it. So, when I saw that someone out there was going to remake it, I thought...why? Which is funny, as I've always thought, hey, if you're going to remake something, remake something that needs to be remade; something that may have had promise, but was executed badly for whatever reason. Not the classics. I was surprised that, upon hearing this news, I have to admit that yes, Night of the Zombies is...a classic. And as much as many of you will still list it on your top 10 worst...if you think about it, you might agree.

But here it is...judge for yourself.

Tarbox Studios presents Night of the Zombies:
Ever since I saw "Dawn Of The Dead" in 1978, it has always been a dream
to either be in or make a Zombie movie. Since then, I have gone out of
my way to see any movie that is ZOMBIE related thinking "I would love to
be in that!" or "I could do a better job of making that!" Being a realist, I
never thought in a million years that it would ever happen on both
counts. But now, in 2006, technology has given the
end user , (us peons)
tools that make it possible. If you have a computer, video camera, and
the proper editing software, you too can make a full length feature film.
All it takes is patients, practice, and a tremendous amount of time.

I have seen every ZOMBIE film ever made. Some are good, some are
GREAT, some are just OK, and some are just plain lousy. I am very partial
to Romero's DEAD series. By far, his are the most remembered zombie
movies. It must be because of
Tom Savini. That man can make any
horror movie magical with his talent. With that said, there is one that
sticks out in my mind that has to be the worst ZOMBIE film ever made.
That is "
NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES". This film was produced in 1981by
Bruno Mattei AKA Vincent Dawn. This movie made me laugh the whole
way through in utter disgust. The acting was horrible to say the least
and was very poorly directed. By "
poorly directed" I mean that the plot
seems to go nowhere and the way the film is arranged is a mess. They
must have not had a penny to their name because of all the National
Geographic and Wild Kingdom stock footage they used that had no
relativity to the scenes that were going on. There are three good
points though. First, the musical score by
GOBLIN that was used in
"
Dawn of the Dead". This point made the film watchable for the music if
nothing else. (Except for the opening song.) Second, is it actually
explains how the zombies came to be, ZOMBIES. Some zombie films
never explain how this happens. And third is the GORE FACTOR! This
movie went to the extreme with the gore. Excellent scene when 2
zombies are leaning over a body and pulling the guts out. I think gore
is a very important part of any zombie flick.
For more explanation, click here.

Image hosting by Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Zombie Banner Exchange